Listed graves in Mill Road Cemetery

Map showing position of listed graves

map showing postion

There are nine graves in the Mill Road cemetery, Cambridge, England, which have been assigned Grade II listed status, as they are tombs of special architectural or historic interest. The cemetery lodge is also Grade II listed. The listing information was taken from the Heritage Gateway website.

The cemetery lodge - see right

Dated 1848. The original mortuary Chapel later converted to a house. Knapped flints with limestone quoins and dressings. Single storey and attic. 1, 2 and 3-light wooden casements. Panelled door, inscription over door 'Parochial Burial Ground Consecrated November 7 1848'. Gabled roof with modern tile and clustered chimney stack.

The cemetery lodge and lime avenue to Mill Road were designed as a whole. The lodge originally housed a small mortuary chapel and committee room, as well as living quarters for the cemetery's custodian. It is now privately owned. The walls are faced with split flint, a common building material elsewhere in East Anglia but rare in Cambridge.

Cemetery Lodge

The Rattee, Kett and Moyes tombs form a group. Rattee and Kett were a notable Cambridge firm of woodcarvers and architectural sculptors.

Tomb of James Rattee
James Rattee

Monument. c.1855. Stone. Double-arched canopy with crocketed finials and embattled cresting. Sexfoil arches below quatrefoils within gables. Inscription panels to James Rattee, d.1855, and other members of the family. James Rattee was one of the founders of Rattee and Kett.

Tomb of Elizabeth and George Kett
Elizabeth and George Kett

Chest tomb. Stone. Coped cruciform chest with, at east end, a high relief kneeling figure of Mary Magdalene who holds a jar of ointment. Inscriptions to Elizabeth and George Kett, d.1913 and 1933.

Tomb of John Moyes
Elizabeth and John Moyes

Monument. c.1865. Stone. Gothic-style pedestal, with quatrefoil base frieze and corner buttresses to cusped-arched inscription panels, supports gabled pinnacle ornamented with crockets, finials and angels. Inscriptions to Elizabeth, wife of John Andrew Moyes, d.1865 and other members of the family.

Tomb of George and Sarah Kett
George and Sarah Kett

Monument. c.1872. White marble with green marble insets. The monument is in the form of a low plinth with inscription to sloping sides. Green marble top. On this is a full length and width cross, covered with very finely carved passion flowers and leaves and a crown. At the top is a headstone surmounted by a quatrefoil with inscription on a carved ribbon. The headstone below has inscriptions to George Kett, died 1872, Sarah, his wife, died 1883, and their son Frederick James. The tomb is almost certainly by Rattee and Kett. The inscription round the edge says "I look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, amen."

Tomb of William Crowe
William Crowe

Tomb. c.1859. Stone. A plain massive ledged sarcophagus with inscription panels is supported on four legs standing on a moulded base. Inscriptions to William Crowe, d.1859, and to Elizabeth Crowe. The sarcophagus form is unusual as is the stone, which has very prominent crystals.

Tomb of Harry Hall
Harry Hall

Monument. Stone. c.1863. Stepped pedestal on a low plinth has slightly tapering shaft surmounted by a garlanded urn. On the front of the shaft is a relief of an angel carrying a infant aloft (see right), which is based on Torvaldsen's relief of 'Night'. Inscription to Harry Hall, d.1863.

Tomb of Harry Hall

Tomb of Lawrence family
Lawrence family

Monument. c.1857. Stone. Moulded square pedestal has frieze of finely carved beribboned wreaths. Above is a square cinerary urn with carved pediments and antefixae. In the centre an elaborate finial. Inscriptions to Edward Rist Lawrence d.1876, Elizabeth, his wife, d.1857, and another Edward, d.1861, aged 25.

Tomb of Hermann Bernard
Hermann Bernard

Monument. c.1857. Obelisk attached to the corners of which are four moulded stone pylons or bollards with pyramidal tops. Towards the base of the obelisk is an inscription to Hermann Bernard, died 1857, MA and PhD of the University of Ciessen in Hesse Darmstadt, for many years Hebrew teacher to the University of Cambridge. There is a Hebrew inscription on the tomb, at the bottom.

Tomb of James Reynolds
James Reynolds

Headstone. Stone, c.1868. Large gabled headstone with finely carved central wreath has slate inscription panel to James Reynolds. This mentions that he was for many years the driver of the Telegraph coach from Cambridge to London. This is an unusual late reference to stage coaches. The inscription says he was "Many years driver of the Telegraph Coach from Cambridge to London". It adds a quotation from Hamlet, "All who live must die, Passing through Nature to Eternity".

Return to Friends of Mill Road Cemetery website.